The MAURITIUS INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTANTS (MIPA) was founded in January 2005. MIPA acts as an umbrella professional body for professional and public accountants who are members of Professional Accountancy Institutes and Associations specified in or contemplated by the Financial Reporting Act 2004 (The Act).
Objects of MIPA
The objects of MIPA as per Section 45 of the Act are to supervise and regulate the accountancy profession and to promote the highest standards of professional and business conduct of, and enhance the quality of services, offered by Professional and Public Accountants in Mauritius.
Functions of MIPA
MIPA is the regulatory body of the Accounting Profession in Mauritius. Its functions are, amongst others, to:
1. Lay down its bye-laws, including those relating to membership rules.
2. Establish, publish and review a Code of Professional Conduct and Ethics for professional accountants consistent with the IFAC’s Code of Ethics. MIPA has adopted IFAC’s Code of Ethics in its entity.
3. Maintain registers of Professional Accountants, Public Accountants, Member Firms, etc.
4. Conduct, or arrange for the conduct of, such examinations as it thinks necessary for the purposes of registering professional accountants.
5. Devise, enforce and monitor compliance of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) standards.
6. Inquire into any written complaints and to institute disciplinary actions as required.
MIPA aims to become a strong accounting body. At MIPA we believe that a strong accountancy body is an asset to the business community and to society.
What MIPA Does?
MIPA has more than 2,700 registered Professional Accountants. Our members have all achieved the internationally recognised and respected accounting qualifications. MIPA is an educator, regulator and through its various committees, MIPA is expected to contribute to enhance the level of services of its members.
MIPA supports its members with technical advice, regulation and compliance support, accounting and financial news, a free and comprehensive Information service, member offers and discounts and organising events. Members can share information and contributes through MIPA’s online community.